Sunday 7 November 2010

I won't be beaten by beetroot!

I have a rather lot of beetroot to get through just now. I love beetroot, only started to enjoy it recently because, probably like a lot of people, my memories of beetroot was on the nasty pickled variety you got at school, along side coleslaw, boiled eggs and corned beef. I feel ill just thinking about it.
Fortunately though, I've experienced some lovely ways of preparing beetroot and pairing it with suitable foods. Such as a meal I had once at Iglu which served pigeon breast on a bed of beetroot and red cabbage with black pudding. Divine!

So although I am a convert and a fan I still struggle to come up with different ways to serve beetroot so I thought I'd share some ideas with you:

Beetroot and apple bortsch - apparently you serve it cold but at this time of year I would go for hot.

Beetroot chocolate cake - This is amazing, no one realises it has beetroot in it. It's heaven and healthy.

Beetroot and potato rosti with smoked salmon - Beetroot and smoked salmon are a winning classic combo.

This should keep me busy for a while, other suggestions are welcome.

I have been in Glasgow this week and managed to catch up with a friend who sat me down and said "I want to talk to you about food...". I have a talent of turning a conversation to food within 5 minutes of meeting someone but this was a record breaking attempt! I was won over and it was a great chat about organic boxes, seasonal veg and cuts of meat. My friend has let me into a little secret - Pork Cheeks. Even Tom Parker-Bowles is a fan. Very cheap she says and delicious - so I will be off to the butcher this week to see what if I can get some and try out her recipe. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment